Yesterday was the beginning of the school year for us. I'm not going to lie and say I was glad that the kids were going back because I wasn't. I have never been like "I can't wait for school to start". Some people might feel that way by the end of the summer ;) but not me, I just like having my kids with me and not some stranger (just call me selfish).
However, I do know that school is good for them and it is necessary. So, with my sunglasses on and tears rolling down my cheeks, I sent them on their way (they grow up way too fast).
| Headed Out |
There was a lot of anxiety building up to school. Especially for Liv. Poor girl cried every day last week because she was so nervous about this new school. One of the reasons is because schools here are not at all like Utah schools. They are old and dirty and usually fenced in with barbed wire. Thursday was finally back to school night at their school, which is a charter Montessori school called The Montessori of the Rio Grande. Liv was really nervous and Harris just wanted to play on the playground. After a general meeting about the school and the program we got to go to their classrooms and meet their teachers and get a better look at the school. Liv has Mr. Rob and Miss Megan and Harris has Mr. Ian and Miss Erica. Each class has a teacher and an assistant teacher who is going through the Montessori training. I really like it that way. I think it will let them have more one-on-one time with the teacher. Liv has about 30 kids in her class which is made up of 4th, 5th and 6th grades. Harris only has 10 kids in his class! I also am glad it is a small school, only about 200 students. The teachers and the principal know all the kids by name! Liv and Harris also get to see each other at recess. I am truly grateful for that! Maybe I'm a little overprotective but I like knowing that they aren't alone and can keep an eye on each other. ;)
![]() |
| Out front and In front of their classrooms |
The layout of the school is very unique. (as you can see behind Liv) It is like a strip mall shaped like a U. With all the doors opening to an outside common area and the playground. It is also located on part of a nature preserve right on the Rio Grande. They will be doing a lot of exploring and science by the river, something that Liv is very excited about. Almost all of their learning will be hands on there will be no worksheets or homework. Ever. I have mixed feelings about this because I am used to them having "busy work". The principal explained to us that she would rather have us doing things with our children like cooking, shopping, drawing, reading, etc. than helping them with various review worksheets. So I guess in a sense it is homework but not like I am used to. I am hoping that this new way of learning will teach them to how to learn better and to love to learn. It's going to be a good year, I hope...

2 comments:
Wowsers, what a unique school! I think I might like the no homework thing! You will have to blog about how it goes! Cute kiddos as always!
You guys look like you are doing so well! I miss you but am glad you are happy :)
I love the Aristocats background! So cute!!
I can't tell you how much that type of schooling makes me SO happy! More and more these days kids are being forced into non-creative thinking. When Liv was working on that Binturong thing without it actually being some sort of assignment I was almost giddy! I am quite impressed with that. :) It'll be great.
Post a Comment