Thursday, May 20, 2010

Paramore Concert 5/10

So, I've blogged before (See 5/26/09 post) about my affinity for darker teen girl music (Garbage in the 90's, Evanescence in the 2000's and Paramore in the 2010's...). Anyway, I am lucky in the fact that I get to share my love of music with my children. Harris loves to ride in my car and listen to "loud music" (usually Pearl Jam) and Olivia shares my love of the band Paramore. I have no problem admitting that I absolutely love Paramore. I think they write fantastic songs with great music and meaningful lyrics.


Anyway, I take a lot of heat for some of my musical tastes but I don't care. :)


When I really like a band I try to support them by purchasing their CD's (actually I dowload it on iTunes...) etc. and also by joining their fan club. I have found that I greatly benefit from most fan clubs, I usually get great access to all sorts of cool stuff including the early chance to purchase great seats to concerts and the chance to win prizes. For some reason (it could be that I don't fit the usual demographics of some of these bands) I seem to win the contests I enter. I had the chance to meet Evanescence a couple years ago and won an autographed headband from Paramore a couple tours ago.


Last summer Liv and I went to her first rock concert and saw Paramore open up for No Doubt. It was great but way too short, at the conclusion of the show I promised Liv that when Paramore came to Utah again that we would go and we would have amazing seats. I didn't know at the time that we would no longer live in Utah the next time they came but a promise was a promise :)


When Paramore announced the availability of fan club seats for their Utah show we had already committed to moving to New Mexico. The show just happened to be the day after Mother's Day so I was able to successfully pitch a Mother's Day trip back to Utah. Jaime graciously accepted my offer and we booked our flights.


Back to my winning ways with goth girl bands, I entered and won Meet and Greet passes for the show as well as Early Entry passes. Along with the great seats I was able to purchase through the fan club, I knew I was in for a cool experience.


The Meet and Greet passes came with a hitch, however. The email I received took great care to specify that the M&G pass was for me only, meaning that I couldn't bring anyone with me. Needless to say, Liv was none too pleased about that and asked me to get a hold of the band and ask if she could come too. I obliged but never heard back. When the day of the show arrived I decided to try to sneak her in with me. I went to the M&G section and thought I would try my hand at being sneaky. When the security guard pointed out to me that I couldn't bring anyone into the M&G, I explained that I had flown in for the concert from New Mexico and that the girl was with me. I told the security guard that since she didn't win the chance to participate in the M&G, that she could just wait in the hallway while I met the band. (now, I had no intention of of actually doing this but wanted to tug at the guards heart strings a little) Liv gave the guard her puppy dog eyes on cue and the guard said he would let her in rather then make her wait in the hallway...


Meeting the band was awesome, it was great to be there with Liv and see her face as she got to meet Hayley and the guys. The band was way cool and seemed genuinely excited to meet such a young fan. Pictures below.


The show itself was amazing. The band was in great form and Hayley was captivating. (this is the point in the blog where Jaime rolls her eyes at me, but it is already known that I find something compelling about lead singer rock chicks). Again, pics are below.


To sum up, the total experience was one of the best music fan times I have ever had and I am so glad I got to share it with Liv.


Liv waiting patiently for the band to arrive at the Meet and Greet...

Liv and Hayley chatting.  Hayley told her how beautiful she was and how cutely she was dressed.

Liv and I with Paramore.  All the band members are super tiny so I had to crouch down so I didn't look so gigantic.  This picture turned out only slightly less geeky on my part than the picture I took with Evanescence a couple years ago.  I'll have to dig that one out.

We had great seats!

Liv rocking out...

 

So, we got our seats from the fan club and were excited because they were on the 5th row and were close to the stage.  When Liv and  I sat down we were very disappointed because the seats were too far over and the speakers were in our way.  A few minutes before the show started we noticed that there was some room on the 2nd row...we headed on down and got ourselves an upgrade. 

2 comments:

Chelsie said...

Awesome!!!!

Tonia said...

Seriously, the experiences you have had with your kids are so great!