Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sleepwalker

So my sweet baby girl has started sleep walking. (Yeah I know she's 8, she's still my baby.) It started several weeks ago when she would wake up in the middle of the night and get undressed and go back to bed with just underwear on. And then it progressed to true sleepwalking. The first time she sleepwalked she came downstairs and just started rummaging through the fridge and then just went back upstairs. Random we thought but we just blew it off. It has happened several times since then. (Once or twice a week.) Sometimes its funny and sometimes its worrisome. One of the times she got up, she came downstairs and went outside!!! (Just into the garage that was closed but still...) She told Chet that she was looking for something that she left in the car. After several minutes of her looking, unsuccessfully, Chet finally coaxed her back inside and carried her back to bed. The night before last Chet and I were in bed and I saw her carry an armload of clothes into her bathroom. I stood at the door for a minute and waited for her thinking she would use the bathroom and go back to bed. Nope. She came out dressed for school with the exception of the underwear she had put on her head!!! She had it around her neck and was trying to put her arm through the leg hole! Chet said to her "Sweetie thats your underwear." and Liv said "I know!". Chet and I were laughing so hard but trying to help her get back to bed without waking her. (You're really not supposed to.) I finally got her back in her jammies and back in bed. So funny. :) It is quite concerning, however, so we have done some research on the matter and have found out that 1 in 10 kids ages 8-13 sleepwalk and they eventually grow out of it. Its usually caused by lack of sleep or stress. (I'm thinking stress since she still gets about 11 hours of sleep a night.) In the mean time we just have to deal with it by getting her back to bed and not waking her. I hope that for her sake that she grows out of it soon. She always wakes up sooo tired the morning after she sleepwalks.

5 comments:

Chelsie said...

Oh my goodness! This is so crazy, funny, crazy! I hope she grows out of it soon, too!

Nikki said...

Oh my gosh. That's so funny, but I can agree with you about it being worrisome! You guys may need to invest in a Hotel Lock on the front door. At least you could sleep at night knowing she can't get out the front door!! And if the garage is closed, you are golden! I wish you would have taken a picture of her with the underwear on her head. I bet that was a sight!! Poor Liv! Hope fully she'll grow out of it sooner than later!!

Jana said...

Poor Liv!! Does she know you take pictures of her? I hope she grows out of it soon. That really can be worrisome!

Tonia said...

that brings back memories! I did it all the time as a child, and now Brendan has started! Hey, we NEED to go to lunch, soon!

Lindsay said...

I did that so much as a kid! That's funny though. But FYI, it's really okay to wake sleepwalkers, they wont hurt you. They'll just be extremely confused. Sleep is so weird! We voluntarily go unconscious for a few hours... How strange!