Saturday, April 11, 2009

Olivia's Baptism



Olivia was baptized today. We have been preparing for some time now but nothing really prepares you for having your baby girl reach an age where she is considered accountable for her actions, becomes a full member of the Church and receives the Holy Ghost. It is always difficult to see your children grow up but it also must mean that I am getting older...


Like I said, difficult.

Anyway, it was an amazing day. We started the service at high noon and were lucky enough to have lots of family and close ones in attendance. Uncle Chrys gave the opening prayer, Auntie Jann gave a talk on the Holy Ghost. Papa (my dad) and Grandpa Paul were witnesses and also participated in the confirmation. It was so great to have so many loved ones show their support for Liv and her decision. The Bishop took time during the service to point out to Olivia how amazing it was that she had so many people there to support her and show their love. I do want to thank those who were able to make it (also those who were there in spirit).


The ceremony itself was an incredible experience for me. This is the first opportunity I have had to baptize anyone since I was a missionary in Russia and it was so amazing. I am so proud of Olivia for choosing to be baptized, it has been great to watch her prepare. When the Bishop asked her if she was ready I really felt she was honest when she replied that she was. She is an amazingly spiritual person for one so young, she has a keen understanding of the fundamentals of the Gospel and really does do her best to keep the commandments. I am very proud of the person she is becoming. Anyway, back to the ceremony, it was awesome to be able to baptize my firstborn. For those of you that were fortunate enough to serve a mission, I can tell you that the great feeling you get from helping someone come to the Gospel is amplified when that someone is your own flesh and blood. It was a very cool experience and I look forward to helping her as she continues along this path she has chosen.


After the baptism we had everyone over for a nice lunch of Chicken Salad sandwiches, salad and various dessert items. Jaime did a wonderful job, as she always does, of hosting everyone and putting together a fantastic get together.


To close, I am usually a privately spiritual person but did want to take the opportunity in this world wide (technically) forum to express my intense gratitude to my Father in Heaven for my wonderful family and my sweet daughter. I do have a testimony that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true and living church of Christ on the face of the earth. I do know that Joseph Smith was truly a prophet of God and did restore the Church of Christ in our time. I also know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, my heart and mind both agree that the book is inspired and is in fact a record of God's dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas. Lastly, I do know that Thomas Monson is God's prophet on the earth today and directs the daily affairs of His church. I know the Gospel to be perfect even those of us that strive to live it every day are not. Our shortcomings do not lessen the truthfulness of the message and I am grateful for tenets of the gospel that allow me to continually improve and seek forgiveness when I fall short.


Below are some more pictures from today's festivities, please enjoy!


Me and Liv after the baptism.


Jaime and her sisters.
Judging by the look on his face my dad must be saying something deeply profound to Liv...


Another shot of me and Liv before the Baptism. My jumper made me a little self-conscious...

5 comments:

Chelsie said...

Ah... You made me cry! Congratulation Olivia! What a wonderful day! I was not a part of it, and that makes me sad, but the wonderful thing about life is that is doesn't wait! It goes on even though "Auntie" Chelsie can't make it. I'm so grateful you were able to do this for your daughter, my brother. You are a pretty neat guy, and though I know you know that, I just thought I would mention it anyway;).
Love,
Sister, Auntie, sister-in-law, etc...

Tonia said...

Congrats Olivia! You have wonderful parents who are so proud of you!

Jana said...

So sad we weren't able to be there. Looks and sounds like it was an amazing day. Way to go Olivia!!

Kenley said...

Oh how the time doth fly!

Congrats to Olivia and a job well done to the parents. Well done indeed!

Audrey said...

I can't believe you have an 8 year old. That must mean that I'm getting old too. She's beautiful! Just like her mother. Congratulations