Friday, August 5, 2011

Basketball Camp

I usually ignore those small signs staked into the ground on the side of the road near an intersection (especially ones that are handwritten on a piece of cardboard that tells me that I can "fire my boss").  One day, Jaime and I saw one advertising a summer basketball camp and we wrote down the number.  The kids both seemed interested when I brought it up to them so I called the number and made an appointment to meet the camp director.

The camp is run by a guy named Marvin Johnson, apparently Marvin was a big basketball star for UNM in the 70's and had a brief career with the Chicago Bulls.  Meeting him was a funny experience.  Harris and I drove down to the local school that would be hosting the camp to sign paperwork etc. and to meet Marvin.  Marvin asked Harris how he felt about basketball and who his favorite players were; Harris replied, "I like Lebron James and Dwayne Wade...Ray Allen is pretty good too...and Carmelo Anthony"  The look on Marvin's face was priceless (I think he was surprised at such a detailed answer) :)

As the time drew closer for the camp to begin, the kids got more and more excited.  Liv has always been a fan of basketball, she and I used to love to go to Jazz games.  Harris loves to both watch and play basketball.  He has had a junior hoop in the basement since we moved to New Mexico (and had more room in the basement for such things)  and literally spends hours shooting hoops on the thing.

Anyway, the kids loved camp and had a great time.  I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.


 I love to watch Harris' face when he dribbles, pure joy!


 Nice technique!


 Again with the face, so cute!


Liv on the "big kids" side.


 Big air!


Showing off his skills!  Seriously though, it was cool to see the kids get better at dribbling as the week went on.


 The campers listening to Coach Marvin...


See how well he pays attention!


Dribbling drills!


 Liv being cool, waiting for her turn...


 More skills!


 We had to buy Harris new basketball clothes and shoes for the camp...


 "Don't take my picture, Dad!"


Brother and sister dynamic duo!


It was great to have the kids do the camp together.


Liv showing off her skills this time!


Back to the boy...


 Zooming down the court!


I like the hair flying behind her as she jets down the court!


Concentration!


Under Coach Marvin's watchful eye...


Again with the joyful expression!


Cool kids!


Liv paying attention to the Coach...


So, funny story.  Every day the staff put on a free throw contest...and every day Harris won that contest...even against the Big Kids.  It was awesome.  On the last day there was a final contest and it came down to Liv (representing the Big Kids) vs. Harris (representing the Littles).  How did it go you ask?  Let's find out...


 Harris watching his sister go.


 Nice form!


Marvelous!


They went back and forth like this for a while...


Harris finally took advantage of a miss by Liv and took home the championship (and the t-shirt).


Wrapping up the week.


Another funny story.  Every day the Coach made the kids run and do push ups and sit ups.  First off, Liv was the fastest person in the camp.  Every time they would run the Coach would yell at the kids to "try to keep up with Liv!".  Also, every time they would do push ups the Coach would tell the kids to "watch Liv and do it like she does!".  It made Liv feel pretty cool (as it should have).


 Some last minute group instruction.


This kid bugged Harris all week, can you tell from the look on his face?


Good bye Coach, thanks for a great week!

No comments: