Thursday, November 11, 2010

Scootin'

You know how I said that on Saturday "we loaded up the family including the dog and headed to the park." Well what I didn't mention was that while we were playing football Disney was at the far end of the field chasing the cottontail rabbits. I was watching her and taking some pictures of her when all of a sudden she just stopped running and sat down. I thought maybe she was tired but when she tried to get up she just sat back down. I hollered at Chet that she was hurt and he walked over to take a look. We thought it was probably just a thorn since she was in the weeds but when we couldn't find a thorn we figured she had just twisted her foot. We decided we better take her back to the car to keep her from hurting it further. She made it almost to the car before she sat back down and Chet had to carry her the rest of the way.

Chet and the kids going to see what is wrong
Sunday morning she wasn't any better but Chet still taking a wait and see approach. As the day progressed she was getting worse. She wasn't even trying to walk on it anymore. Instead she was scooting around on her bum. We were a bit confused because she wasn't acting like she was in any pain and even when we would try and find where she was hurt we couldn't. We were starting to become very concerned that she had done something to her spine and had cause nerve damage or even worse, paralysis!

First thing Monday morning we called the vet and made an appointment for that morning. I was scared to death that I would be leaving the vet without my dog because she was hurt so bad we would have to put her down. Chet was even so worried about her he worked from home that morning in case I needed him at the vet. When I got to see the vet she was just as puzzled as we were because, like I said, she wasn't acting like she was in pain. The vet started making a list of what she thought it could be; Hernia? Nope. Nerve damage? Nope. Paralysis? Nope. Finally she started working her joints. Hips? Yep! When she tried to rotate her hips she growled. She then took Diz back for some x-rays. When she came back she had good news and bad news. The good news: nothing was broken. The bad news: she had hip dysplasia and had dislocated her back left hip. Fortunately the hip had already popped back into place but the problem now is will it ever fully heal. Probably not and the only course of treatment, for now, is pain killers and anti-inflammatorys. Eventually, however, she will need a hip replacement. Right now we are doing everything we can to promote healing. We are giving her her pain killers in addition to glucosamine chondroitin tablets. We bought her a special orthopedic bed and we are keeping her from running or jumping up. The doctor said it will take about a week before she is feeling like she can walk on it again. So for now she is getting around by us carrying her or her scooting around on her bum. Poor Bean-o!

1 comment:

Chelsie said...

Oh my goodness, that is the saddest thing I have ever seen. Poor Disney!